Thank you for all those that attended the webinar on Thursday, September 20.
Here is the recording of the webinar with markers to specific questions and answers that can be viewed on the YouTube link
Here’s a list of questions that were answered during the webinar:
- 9:35 – Affirmative Action Background, Whole Person Review, and Legal Question presented by Dr. Poon
- 19:15 – Q1 What factors are included in holistic review? Presentation about what goes behind holistic review on college admissions
- 24:51– Q2 In the Harvard case, what is the personal rating? Is it it a personality test? Doesn’t this rating seem to be biased against Asian Americans?
- 34:30 – Q3 How do you answer the question, “Do you think identifying as Asian will hurt you when applying to college?” How do you advise students and families who ask this question?
- 36:07 – Q4 What if we looked at socioeconomic status for affirmative action rather than race? Wouldn’t that eliminate many of the concerns about affirmative action but still reach the intent?
- 39:15 – Q5 What will happen if affirmative action is overturned? What will be some unexpected and expected consequences?
- 40:50 – Q6 As a high school senior currently applying to colleges, can you speak about your perspective on affirmative action in college admissions? Why do you value diversity?
- 45:48 – Q7 What are simple and effective ways everyday people can talk about the controversy over race-conscious holistic review and Asian Americans?
- 50:02 – “Would it be helpful to look at scholarship that shows actual discriminatory practices?”
- 54:48 – “Diversity is good but would it be necessary to be enforced by affirmative action?”
- 54:47 – “Many affirmative action supporters argue that we need it to break glass ceiling. Do you think it’s fair for tens of thousands Asian Americans to be discriminated against in their college admissions just for a few people to break the glass ceiling”
- 58:24 – “I would believe racial diversity is important if it’s applied to all majors. Are they”
- 1:01:50 – “Should I pick a major over another major to get admitted?”
- 1:05:14 – “UC Berkeley Chancellor in her draft strategic plan is to focus on becoming a Hispanic Serving Institution or HSI in the next ten years. In an HSI require a 25% Hispanic enrollment to qualify. Isn’t this a quota?”
- 1:08:40 – “How does affirmative action help the minorities within the Asian American community”
- 1:10:46 – “How do you explain the higher percentage of Asian Americans in the California universities as compared to Harvard?”
- 1:15:58 – “SFA argues that teacher and counselor letters of recommendation speak to student’s personality and personal traits and the finding shows that Asian American applicants receive the same ratings as white students. Some people think Asian American students getting a lower personality rating is bewildering. Are letters not mean as much anymore?”
- 1:19:01 – “With the push for data disaggregation in higher education for Asian and Asian American communities, how do you think the advocacy for affirmative action will be effected or will it change?”
- 1:21:15 – “How do people engage APA or APIDA folks who do not support affirmative action? What are some key points facts when pulling for the need of it?”
- 1:25:04 – “About 70% of affirmative action beneficiaries at elite colleges are from middle to upper class. Is it fair for colleges to give them a leg up at the expense of middle and lower class Asian American kids?”
Also, here is a link to the list of schools mentioned in the webinar that consider Asian Americans in college diversity recruitment programs.